Missed this thread. No direct solution comes to my mind for this

Couple of things, since the degradation is occurring only with few instances.

1. Find out what is different on the machines seeing degradation from
the others (including OS configurations)
2. Is it the degradation random or occurring on specific hosts

Put me in this situation and I would do following

1. Try to look out for a Pattern of degradation, similar hosts, some
event storm or could be anything
2. If you have monitoring system, see what's happening around during
the degradation, heavy GC activity.

Once you get a similar pattern, perhaps debugging and solving it would
be easier.

--
thanks
ashish