As you mentioned, you have the freedom to use Log4j 2 and the same time we
have to keep the out of the box experience the same in a minor version.
Users should be able to upgrade flume without changing any of their
configurations.
If they have a log4j.properties (Log4j 1) then they would not be able to
use it after the upgrade without changing it.

Or am I missing a feature that would solve this case?