On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 1:33 PM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Fluoers,
> >
> > I created a fluo-bytes repository in GitBox[1], so we can try to create a
>
> This is great. I will take a stab at putting together the initial PR
> for the repo unless someone else was interested.

It was my intention to put some effort into this this week, but I don't
mind collaborating. I just don't want to be stuck doing only reviews. :)

> > dependency-free, standalone implementation of the basic Bytes features we
> > need, based on Keith's observations in his blog post[2].
>
> At some point we need to circle back to the openjdk discuss list and
> let them know we are working on this.  There were a few people there
> who expressed interest in a project like this.  Maybe we can do that
> after we get the basic readme and initial import up. Reading this post
> made me think of the readme a lot.

+1; do you have a link to that discuss thread? I'm not familiar with this,
and was not a participant.

> > Over the next few weeks, I'd like to try to start using it to create a
> > small library of the following:
> >
> > * A ByteSequence interface (analogous to CharSequence)
> > * BytesBuilder (analogous to StringBuilder)
> > * an immutable Bytes implementation of ByteSequence (analogous to String)
> >
> > Maybe later, we can add useful InputStream and OutputStream
> implementations
> > and other useful tools, but it should always be a small library with a
> > narrow focus on manipulating byte sequences.
> >
> > The idea is that this will be semver, but will very strong prefer to
> avoid
> > ever going to a breaking 2.0 change, instead insuring it will be
> backwards
> > compatible for a *LONG* time, making it safe for use in other projects'
> > APIs.
>
> When creating the readme, it would be good to try to explain the
> rational for avoiding dropping methods.  I attempted that in my blog
> post, but not sure how well I did at getting the point across.  I
> think it would be best shown with an example that shows how it can be
> hard to use two projects where one uses newer methods and another uses
> older dropped methods.  Couple that with both projects having the
> library in their API and its a huge headache for any users of both
> libraries.

+1

> > I think this library would be useful not only for Fluo's API, but as a
> > separate dependency-free library, it could be easily reused by many other
>
> We will also need to explain why dependencies are so important.  If
> their were dependencies they would also need to follow very strict API
> guarantees.  Having Java standard libs as the only dep is good because
> Java itself is very rigorous about its API.
>
> Another thing that will need to be explained well in the readme is the
> benefit of multiple APIs using the same immutable type, it avoids
> copies when going between APIs.

+1; it sounds like you've already got the README half written ;)