On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:41 AM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> For reference I used the following to collect stats
> >>

> https://github.com/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-recipes+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-website+closed%3A%3E%3D2017-05-01+
> >>

> https://github.com/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-recipes+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-website+created%3A%3E%3D2017-05-01+
> >>

> https://github.com/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-recipes+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-website+closed%3A%3E%3D2017-05-01+
> >>

> https://github.com/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-recipes+repo%3Aapache%2Ffluo-website+created%3A%3E%3D2017-05-01+
> >> git log --since 2017-05-01 | grep Author | sort -u

> all
> latency
> >

> > I'm not a big fan of this description. There's some elements of debatable
> > accuracy and relevancy. I suggest dropping the history/background and
>
> What do you think is inaccurate?

It's not that it's inaccurate... it's that it's temporal. Saying that it
offers "much lower latency" compared to others is not likely to be a
resilient statement as advances in those other frameworks progress. It may
be true... but it could not be true at any given moment. Same with "can
operate on extremely large data sets"... it's not necessarily accurate to
say this is "unlike" others, because others may be able to do that, too, at
any given moment.

More importantly, I think, is whether or not these are relevant. Our docs
can explain more details about history, background, prior technologies, and
comparisons with other things. Those things should not distract from
answering "What is *this* in front of me?" question. I especially think
this or the board report... the board isn't going to want to see an
explanation of what Percolator is, or an explanation of limitations in
other software... they just want a reminder of what this particular Apache
project is about.

> > comparison stuff, and using a more "get to the point" description which
> lets
> > users know why they should care about Fluo, like:
> >
> > Apache Fluo is a distributed processing system which allows users to
> > continuously and incrementally join new data with extremely large
> existing
> > data sets without reprocessing all the data. It provides low-latency,
> > high-throughput data processing into Apache Accumulo, with cross-node
> > transaction support and a notification system to automatically process
> new
> > data with a user-defined workflow.
>

> Thinking about this some more base on your feedback, I think there are
> three different aspects that are important to communicate to someone
> trying to quickly decide if they should look into this further.
>
>  1 . What capabilities it offers to users
>  2. How it works
>  3. Context, how does it compare to other big data technologies.
>
> Below is a rough outline of an attempt to communicate these three aspects.
>
> Intro :
>
>   Apache Fluo is a distributed data processing system built on Apache
> Accumulo.
>
> Capabilities :
>
>   Fluo allows users to continuously join new data into large existing
> data sets without reprocessing all data.  With Fluo, users can keep
> multiple dependent derived data sets up to date as new data arrives.
> Changes to derived data sets can be emitted to external query or
> analytics systems.
>
> How it works :
>
>   Fluo achieves this by offering the ability to execute user defined
> cross node transactions when data changes.
>
> Context :
>
>   Fluo offers much lower latency than batch frameworks and can operate
> on larger data sets than streaming frameworks.

I like the way you broke it down, but I think the result is too long for a
description. I don't think the "Context" portion should be included. The
"Capabilities" section reads like a follow-up paragraph, which begins going
into more details.
(also, I like my wording better. ;)

I do think the way you've broken it down would be great for the front page
of Fluo's website, though, in this sectioned format. But, the description
should be just a "taste", so the smaller and more to the point it is, the
better.

In any case, for the purposes of this report, please select whatever
description you think best. We can continue to discuss how best to present
Fluo to others through improved description, etc., separately from the
board report.