You were faster than I Ferdinand,
Thank you for your explaination.

Regards,
Cyriaque,

Ferdinand Soethe a écrit :

I think it would be great to have optional support for advanced
features of smarter browsers. Though that means you would have to
support several access options (smart and dumb) for the same browser.
I guess this is what views are all about?!

David Crossley wrote:

DC> I don't understand your intention, so this comment
DC> might be off-track ...

My understanding of this is that a couple of browsers like Firefox and
Mozilla support a sidebar (second pane) that can be used for having a
second permanent window area to support all kinds of extra info
see
http://www.granneman.com/webdev/browsers/mozillafirefoxnetscape/sidebars.htm.

So in order to support this in a useful way, all navigational elements
would need to be moved to a second set of sidebar pages while header
stuff like Logos etc would still be needed at the top (which might be
different for PDAs).

The technology of a sidebar seems quite similar to Framesets. Create
independent sidebar pages and use links with target='content' to open
pages in the main content pane.

More on this in
See http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/sidebar_how.jsp
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/sidebar_example.jsp

Conclusion: It might make sense to implement sidebar support and
frame-support together since it only requires one more page with the
frameset elements.

_However_ if my understanding is correct so far, I wonder what advantage
there is in supporting sidebars or frames apart from keeping the menu
in sight while scrolling through a long page. And this can (and
should) also be achieved using CSS.

I just raised this in a new topic "Why are navigational element are not static
when
scrolling long pages?"

And since, in order to achieve real improvements (such as having menues
that don't cause so much traffic), we would need to use client side
programming anyway, why not make that standards conforming and client
independent?

Am I making sense?

--
Ferdinand Soethe