David Crossley wrote:
Ross Gardler wrote:

Since we have a number of new developers arriving perhaps those new to
the Apache Way would like to read:

Consensus Gauging through Voting:

Which states in the introduction:

There are essentially three types of vote:

  1. Code modifications,
  2. Package releases
  3. Procedural

(note there is nothing there about decision making)

You may also be interested in this blog post and those linked from it:

http://blog.generationjava.com/roller/page/bayard/20050319#apache_meritocracy_consensus_and_despotism

http://www.anyware-tech.com/blogs/sylvain/archives/000172.html

and

http://www.jroller.com/page/rgardler/20050324#effective_decision_making_in_community

(which all say much the same thing but all come from slightly different
angles)

---

I wounder if we should put some/all of these links into one of our mail
templates for inviting/accepting a new committer?

It would be better to distill those comments into the
top-level documents at www.apache.org/dev/
But yeah, linking to them is next best.

I like yours the most. Someone should press-gang you
into writing documents for Forrest.

:-))

The blog entry is Creative Commons licensed, I hereby give permission for someone to copy it into any relevant Apache document and relicense it accordingly.

Ross