Ross Gardler wrote:
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:

I'm struggling determining whether the matching order of images can be
different from xml specifically with respect to locationmaps.  Should
images *always* resolve through locationmaps as a last resort the same
as xml?

We should have two locationmaps: Forrest's and the user's.
The user's takes precedence on Forrest's.

I'd like to avoid a Forrest locationmap at this stage.

I have no problem with this.

To be honest, I'm not yet convinced we need a Forrest locationmap. I think this will be the subject of quite some dscussion, but I'd rather enter the discussion once we have done plenty of experiments with a user locationmap.

No problem. You will see the value when will try to refactor the image-svg-png-etc stuff, that is full of redundancy. The locationmap can greatly improve the code.

For example, the "images/**.*" match currently uses
otherwise to match to an apparent backward compatibility set of
images.  It seems to make sense in these cases that locationmap
resolved images would resolve in a higher priority than the current
otherwise.

Given that the test for the existence of a resource in the users locationmap may be expensive, i.e. it may request a remote resource, I think it should be the last test in the chain.

When we come to refactor the sitemaps either with a Forrest locationmap or for the 1.0 release we can reconsider this decision.

It's not that important ATM, I concede.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -