Speaking as a Forrest developer, i will help out here as much
as i can manage. I would rather spend any available time to
help get a release done, than to help put Forrest into the
Apache Attic. We are in danger of that being the next step.

We need people to recommence participation.

Some early things to do [1]:

Decide which Java version. We really need to move forward.
I, for one, cannot even build and test on the currently specified version.
Would someone else please commence the discussion about that.

Tweak the Ant build system to package Forrest differently.
Remember that recently we needed to repackage the last release
to split it into a core package and a dependencies package.
The build system needs some minor adjustment to effect that,
and also create a convenience package which combines the two.

Upgrade some dependencies, especially core ones such as
Apache Ant and Apache Xerces.

Scan the JIRA issue tracker to see if there is anything that
can be done before release, or that need some discussion to move
them forward.

Review the "how to release" instructions. We might be able to
make some changes to ease the process. For example, see the first
"fixme" note: Having the docs packaged with the release is a great
demonstration of Forrest's ability, but it complicates the release
process.

Those are reasonably easy steps, which should start to
re-invigorate this community.

Remember that you do not need to be a committer to help with
a release. Anyone can assist.

-David