> Because I proposed an "intermediate" release with breaking changes.
> According to semver, that's a new major version.

The point is really that you should avoid breaking changes, if it doesn't
bring significant value for the users. Version changes that might make a
weird impression is just a secondary effect.

> As for the Maven relocation -- you can just ask on the Maven user mailing
list.

Group change is low on my list. There are way more urgent issues. So I
don't plan to invest more into that. It's just what you said on the PR
seems to imply that it's a solved problem, but based on the linked page...
honestly, to me it looks as if the problem to solve wasn't well understood.

> Anyway, maybe I can get the stuff done in ant, who knows

As you know, there's a Gradle PR for a good while. Technically, it's two
PR-s, one targtes "3", and another that targets "2.3-gae". The "3" one
was already merged (many months ago). To my best knowledge, the "2.3-gae"
Gradle it's also working, and it also reproduces what the Ant build does
(and without breaking backward compatibility). But because it makes the
source code modular (like it is in "3"), therefore merging it would break
all other pending PR-s. So, first I have to merge those (those are Java
code changes, not build). I plan to do that in December. Then merge a the
Gradle PR. Because of this, my intent is that the Jakarta issue (i.e., we
need a "jakarta" variant on freemarker.jar, because of the Serlvet API
package changes in Jakarta) will also only be solved in Gradle, not in Ant.
(If the Gradle merging drags, then still in Ant.)

That's my plan, and then members/users can of course stop me, if they don't
like it.

> but please paste the link to the vote on the mailing into this issue, so
we can see that it was agreed on

That sounds as if I told you that there was a vote on this issue. There
wasn't. I have written a mail to this mailing list back then, that there's
this Gradle PR, and please take a look. (Plus, of course members should get
an automatic mail on PR-s.) There was no reaction as far as I remember.
Surely not an unresolved dispute about it, which would require a vote. (Of
course, there will be a vote when we prepare for release on everything
included, and no FreeMarker version with Gradle build has been released
yet.)

--
Best regards,
Daniel Dekany