The information available is linked from
https://github.com/apache/freemarker/blob/3/README.md

What's happening with it: Nowadays, almost nothing. It's a huge effort to
rewrite so many things. I guess that would be like a year full time job for
me. (And that only if we are efficient with decision making, and not go
back-and-forth a lot on every decision, committee style. Because there are
way too many things that I think weren't good decisions in the past. Like
even very core things like ObjectWrapper-s, I wouldn't repeat them in a new
engine.) So the whole FM3 effort is unlikely to ever yield a release, but
then, I see no more likely way to get away from 2.x heritage. It's just
prohibitively expensive or impossible to get lots of things right in 2.x
after 20 years, as it would either break backward compatibility a lot, or
the resulting code would be too twisted to maintain. So 2.x is maintained,
slowly still gets features that are feasible to add to it, and regardless,
3 either will happen, or not.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Dekany