Hi,

In FreeMarker 3 we want to modularize the project, so that there will
be at least a freemarker-core and then a separate artifacts for each
extension (like freemarker-jsp, etc.). Thus so far I agree with what
you are doing. If it can be done with FreeMarker 2 though, I'm not
sure, because we have to keep strict backward compatibility there, and
also we have to consider how much hassle such a change causes for the
users. (There are orders magnitude more users than contributors.
Something that's nice for the contributors might bears no value for
the users, or even just makes dependency management more fragile for
them.)

As of a monolithic Maven build (where the point is to migrate away
from Ant and make the build more "standard"), there was such activity,
but it didn't get far enough so far:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FREEMARKER-7?jql=project%20%3D%20FREEMARKER

The main problem is that in FreeMarker it happens now and then that we
have to depend on multiple versions of the same artifact (or on
multiple versions of the Java platform). Ant can handle that, but
Maven... well, perhaps if we extract parts that are above the baseline
platform (Java 5 currently, but let's say Java 6) into separate
artifacts, like freemarker-core-java-8 and such, but that won't be
backward compatible as users had to depend on them explicitly (I
guess), and even if we consider FreeMarker 3, it might complicates the
life of users. So perhaps we have to look into using Gradle. (Gradle
can be also handy if we want to target Android, and with in FreeMarker
3 we surely should.)

Also, there are quite a few extra steps and extra tasks, if you look
into the build.xml. Though I guess most of them can be reimplemented
in Maven gradually, and we can keep the Ant build until it's done...

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany