Hi Randika,

Welcome! :-)
Regarding the Spring Framework integration support, we have made some
progress in "3" branch:
- https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/tree/3

There is also a brief summary what has been done so far:
-
https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/blob/3/FM3-CHANGE-LOG.txt#L501

Basically, basic view resolver support and spring bean wiring has been
done. Also, basic directive and function models to replace Spring JSP
Taglibs were done. So, I would say Spring Framework integration with
FreeMarker 3 is kind of working already with basic directives/functions
support already, but we need to add more to support form directives, too.
I think I've implemented about half of directive and function models to
replace Spring Framework Form JSP Taglibs as well. I still need to add
directives to replace OptionsTag, CheckboxesTag, RadioButtonsTag,
CheckboxTag and RadioButtonTag. Of course, even after we add the remaining
form models, we have to pass thorough testing and validation on potential
issues (e.g, escaping issue).

I hope you take a look around those and understand how the
directives/functions work in FM3.
I'm looking forward to working with you, getting insights and sharing
thoughts! :-)

You can build the branch with Gradle and you can browse the unit tests as
well. Here are some links:
- To build:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/blob/3/README.md#building-freemarker
- Test cases under
https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/tree/3/freemarker-spring/src/test/.
And you will see test .ftlh file resources under
https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker/tree/3/freemarker-spring/src/test/resources/META-INF.
too.

Please feel free to ask anything. You can start forking and creating a pull
request if anything is ready.
Finally, you can also browse old threads from here:
- https://lists.apache.org/list.html?d...@freemarker.apache.org

Kind regards,

Woonsan