Saturday, March 24, 2018, 3:13:06 AM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> When I tested with freemarker-2.3.28-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar, which I
> built and install it to my local maven repo from the latest "2.3"
> branch myself, in my applications, I haven't found any regressions.
> My applications are rather simpler probably than others as they simply
> render model objects passed from request attributes through
> FreeMarkerServlet.
> But when I tried the new features and bug fixes [1], I think I found
> somethings (perhaps there could be my misunderstandings):
>
> 1. The template example in
> https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/fm2.3.28/ref_specvar.html#ref_specvar_get_optional_template
>
>   <#assign optTemp = .get_optional_template('some.ftl')>
>   <#if optTemp.exists>
>
>   But if the 'some.ftl' doesn't exist, optTemp.exists fails as it's
> null. So I ended up changing it to this:
>
>   <#assign optTemp = .get_optional_template('some.ftl')>
>   <#if optTemp?? && optTemp.exists>

That's bizarre. It works for me. Also for the test suite... that
passes there, right? (It can't even be explained by accidentally using
2.3.27, as there .get_optional_template is parsing (syntax) error.)

> 2. Square bracket syntax through ftl directive
>
> It reads, "This directive also determines if the template uses angle
> bracket syntax (e.g. <#include 'foo.ftl'>) or square bracket syntax
> (e.g. [#include 'foo.ftl']). Simply, the syntax used for this
> directive will be the syntax used for the whole template, regardless
> of the FreeMarker configuration settings." [2]
>
> I applied it to an included .ftl template like this:
>
> [#ftl output_format="HTML"]
> [="Hello"]
> ${"Hello"}
>
> It prints: [="Hello"] Hello,
> not: Hello ${"Hello"}

There are two independent settings here: tag syntax and interpolation
syntax. It's mere coincidence that both has "square bracket" in their
names. [#ftl] only sets the first. I will clarify that in the
documentation. Or, it's a warning sign that we should rather use
{{exp}}, as that doesn't have "square brackets" in it.

> 3. split with an empty string
>
> It says, "Bug fixed: When string?split(separator) is called with "" as
> the argument, the string will be split to characters now. Earlier it
> has thrown an IllegalArgumentException (unless the r flag was
> specified)."
> But when I tried it, it throws an IllegalArgumentException:
>
> <#assign a="hello"?split("l")>
==>>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The separator string has 0 length
> at freemarker.template.utility.StringUtil.split(StringUtil.java:752)

Huh? "l" isn't even 0 long! Or you meant to copy-paste `?split("")`
there? And yet again, it works for me here. Though this at least can
be that you are accidentally using 2.3.27 (try ${.version}).

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany