I think any new client driver or server we develop might want to
incorporate function execution at lower level than region operations like
get and put, etc. We could then easily build operations like GET, PUT,
PUTALL, etc. on top of that by making them functions. The original client
protocol isn't designed like that because it pre-dates function execution.

The current function execution API is a little clunky and needs some work.
But what it does do is provide the fundamental logic to target operations
at members that host certain keys and retry in the case of failure.

The advantage of this approach is that if someone just builds a driver that
only supports function execution and whatever serialization framework is
required to serialize function arguments, they already have an API that
application developers could use to do pretty much anything they wanted to
do on the server. Having a Region object with methods like get and put on
it could just be a little syntatic sugar on top of that.

-Dan