The geode-old-versions module was originally created to pull in old version jar files into your gradle cache.  This happened only once and you were good to go.  I don't think that part should be backed out as it has minimal impact and is not affecting build time.

The recent changes for lucene testing seem to be pulling in full installations of old versions and these are deleted as part of the "clean" gradle task.  That's causing them to be downloaded again each time you do a clean&build.  Dan put changes in place so that the files aren't downloaded again if you build without cleaning but clearly more needs to be done in this area.