I agree I don't think we can get rid of FunctionAdapter until the next
major version.

I was thinking FunctionAdapter is rather widely used, but then I'm
surprised no one has hit this yet.

All of the options kinda suck here - either pre 1.0 users have a
compatibility issue or 1.0-1.3 users do. With your proposoal 1.0 - 1.3
users would have modify their source code on the client and the server for
the function, correct?

If we got really fancy we could actually ignore the serialVersionUUID for
this class like this - https://stackoverflow.com/a/1816711/2813144. But
it's pretty messy.

-Dan