I think if you embed the sessionId into your value object and create an
index, that should perform better.  I am assuming if you embed the sesionId
that you would then be doing queries more similar to sessionId = X or
sessionId like sessionId%.  Being able to use the index will prevent the
query engine from having to do a full region scan.

For the like query, a % matcher preceding the value will also slow down the
engine because it will have to scan a lot more of the region to find any
possible matches.  So %sessionId% will perform worse than sessionId%,
especially with an index.

Using PDX to serialize the value object would also help.