I'm in favor of this.

Several times over the years we've made a big push to get precheckin to reliably only to see rapid degradation due to crappy code being pushed in the face of precheckin failures.  We've just invested another half year doing it again.  Are we going to do things differently now?  Disabling the Merge button on test failure might be a good start.