> This sounds to me like "all my friends are jumping off bridges" and an
> incorrect application or understanding of your toolset.  In my own
> experience, I have had much more trouble trying to track a bug through
> massive squashed commits than I have identifying which branch was
> responsible for a code change.

-> learning from long standing successful Apache projects is not equivalent
of  "all my friends are jumping off bridges". You need to re-think that.
This is what is done because it is convenient and makes our lives easier,
and this is a sentiment shared by a lot of developers.

This might just be a bit of philosophy, but I have to disagree with you.

Sure, but in practice things are easier the other way.

@Udo : I agree.

Regards
Naba