I think in any point of view we are looking at Committer or PMC membership,
it does come down to merit. Does the person have the merit, which can also
be trust, to be a Committer and/or PMC member?

The difference between Committer and PMC member is not simply being
'gatekeepers' of the codebase, PMC members provide oversight to the entire
project [1], which I cannot put the same responsibility on a Committer. I
don't think there has to a promotion path in terms of Committer -> PMC,
however, I do believe there is a distinction between the two, especially
since it is the Apache Board which ultimately makes the decision for PMC
membership. A candidate be nominated for both at one time, but then it
would be an all or nothing vote.

--Mark

[1]: https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html