Hi Kirk and Mark, thank you for bringing your concern.

Our “critical fixes” rule allows critical fixes to be brought to the release
branch by proposal on the dev list, as you have just done.  If there is
consensus from the Geode community that this NPE fix satisfies the “critical
fixes” rule, Dick or I will be happy to bring it to the 1.10.0 release branch.

-Owen