@Mike - Who said anything about...

"*masking it in an early return from the shutdown command doesn't seem like
the appropriate action.*"

I think you missed the point.  You explicitly have to break out of the
wait, which is a conscious decision when *Gfsh* is run interactively.

The command as I previously stated, is "blocking", or "synchronous" with
respect to cache.close(), which is "ultimately" what gets called whether
the stop happens in-process or out-of-process (for that matter).  So, in a
non-interactive mode, the real issue is, why is the cache not completely
and properly closed/shutdown after a cache.close() call then?

Fix cache.close() then!  Don't simply bandaid this thing with yet another
unreliable means to ascertain whether the cache was completely and properly
shutdown.  And, don't put responsibility on the user to have register and
receive notification on complete shutdown, or some other ridiculous means,
either.

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)