@Anthony. Ticket was updated.. In a nutshell, to run integration tests, using the REST endpoints, requires the starting of the server with and embedded web-server.

As all tests run on dependency management only and don't have access to a downloaded product, the HTTP endpoints are not part of the dependency. These are added in by including the WAR files from mavenCentral.

As @Dan pointed out, GEODE-5660 enabled this behavior.

I think this approach might actually even help with the testing of the REST Controller in the Geode codebase itself.

--Udo