Let’s check all the repos:

geode
        master is the latest released code
        work is done on develop (default branch)

geode-benchmarks
        master is the latest released code
        work is done on develop (default branch)

geode-dotnet-core-client
        master is the latest released code
        work is done on develop (default branch)

geode-native
        master is the latest released code
        work is done on develop (default branch)

geode-site
        asf-site is the CMS branch for publishing
        work is done on master (default branch)

geode-examples
        master is the default branch and latest release
        work is done on develop

geode-kafka-connector
        work is done on master (default branch)

For some repos, removing `master` entirely seems pretty low impact.

Side note:  when I work in other projects it’s always nice to `git clone XXX`
and be working on a known good branch.  For the geode repo the default branch
is develop so that doesn’t really apply—it’s just as much friction to checkout
main as rel/v1.12.0.

For geode-examples, there is more impact since master is the default branch and
anyone who has accessed these examples would be affected.  I think it’s still
worth it to make the switch.

Are there any effects on CI jobs?  README files?

Side node #2:  GitHub has suggested they will be supporting this name change,
but the details of when and how are unclear.  And other Apache projects are
moving in this direction as well.

Anthony