Comments due by the end of this week…

In some environments it’s expensive to provide all server machines with
externally-resolvable
hostnames.  We recently added support for “off platform” clients to access
servers through
an ingress
proxy<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Client+side+configuration+for+a+SNI+proxy>
for this type of environment.  I’m proposing to do the same for inter-cluster
(“WAN”)
communications.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/WAN+Configuration+for+an+Ingress+Proxy

This improvement will allow one cluster to forward events to another cluster
even though the
other cluster’s machines do not have resolvable hostnames.  Communications will
go through
a Proxy process hosted in the other cluster with a resolvable hostname.  The
user-visible
changes in this proposal are small, changing the “remote-locators” setting to
allow for
a new syntax.

I’m not proposing to implement a Proxy.  There are numerous Proxy products
available that
could fit into this scheme such as HAProxy, Envoy, and NGIX.

I will probably start with an SNI-based implementation and leverage work
already done for
client/server communications.

Please provide feedback by the end of 14 august.  Thanks!