Hi everyone,

Sorry for the previous email, I did send it before finishing it by mistake.

Currently Geode Native uses C++11 standard. It has been quite some time since
the standard was released and as of today the latest standard is C++20.
As part of another discussion, some users in the community were wondering if
it's the time to switch to C++17 in the Geode Native project.

So, I am putting a list of pros and cons:

Pros:

  *   Several new features added:
     *   C++14 features:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/14#New_language_features
     *   C++17 features:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/17#New_language_features
  *   Some of the interesting features are:
     *   Function return type deduction.
     *   Improved constexpr functions.
     *   Variable templates.
     *   Generic lambdas.
     *   Lambda capture expressions.
     *   [[deprecated]]
     *   Shared mutexes/locks.
     *   std::make_unique
     *   Nested namespace definitions.
     *   Structured bindings.
     *   variant.
     *   any.
     *   optional.

Cons:
  *   Some users might have older compilers which does not implement all C++ 17
features.

Thanks,
Mario.

________________________________
[...]

C++17 -
cppreference.com<https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/17#New_language_features>
This page was last modified on 20 October 2020, at 04:39. This page has been
accessed 106,431 times. Privacy policy; About cppreference.com; Disclaimers
en.cppreference.com


C++14 -
cppreference.com<https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/14#New_language_features>
New language features . variable templates; generic lambdas; lambda
init-capture new/delete elision relaxed restrictions on constexpr functions;
binary literals
en.cppreference.com
