Interesting data point:  40% of maven central downloads last month were for
version 1.4.0. Of course those numbers can be easily skewed by CI bots, but
still!

@Owen, I think your suggestion nicely improves practicality while continuing to
support strong compatibility. In many cases it’s quite a bit easier to upgrade
the Geode server cluster compared to potentially many, many client
applications.  Supporting older client versions gives users time to upgrade,
quicker access to bug fixes, and helps avoids downtime.

+1

Anthony