To be clear, I agree with Donal and Robert.

On 1/26/22, 10:44 AM, "Donal Evans" <doev...@vmware.com> wrote:

    To clarify what I think might be a misunderstanding here, there is zero
evidence of any kind that the large warning clean-up PR has introduced any
issues, performance-related or otherwise.

    For my two cents on cutting the branch at the commit before the big change,
I'm of the same opinion as Robert, that we should cut the branch at HEAD and
revert only if it's determined to be necessary. The changes were broad, but the
nature of the changes were benign and low-risk, being simple, automated
refactors of trivial things like removing unnecessary casts or adding "final"
to variables.

    I understand the argument that we often don't see all the consequences of a
change until some time after it's been merged, but that argument applies to
every change that gets made, and historically, new features and bug fixes have
a far higher change of introducing problems than automated refactors. The
choice of the warning clean-up change seems based almost entirely on the fact
that it touched a lot of files, not in the actual risk associated with those
changes.
    ________________________________
    From: Raymond Ingles <ring...@vmware.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 10:16 AM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <dev@geode.apache.org>
    Subject: Re: Proposal: Cut 1.15 release branch from SHA
8f7193c827ee3198ae374101221c02039c70a561

    BTW, just to clarify, when I officially proposed cutting the branch, I
hadn't intended to volunteer as release manager this round. That said, it's
important to branch at a point we're confident about.

    Bisecting a 3K-file change is potentially... complicated. If there's
confidence we can track down the issue(s) quickly, a later branch point would
be nice. If not... probably better to branch at a "not known bad" point.