From: Udo Kohlmeyer <u...@vmware.com.INVALID>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 5:05 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <dev@geode.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Relocate Geode Docs from code repo to seperate repo

Hi there Dave,

I can understand the frustration that you face. I think the freezing of the
code is different to that of the docs. I think each project member would agree
if I stated that changes to the docs on ANY branch should be allowed regardless
of where in the process of the release the project finds itself. (within common
sense reasoning of course 😉 )

I am however interested in how we would ensure that the docs repo and the code
repo, stay “in-sync”? Would we raise JIRA’s (Github issues) with the repo to
make sure that we don’t miss documenting features or changes? We already suffer
the problem where feature/changes are made and merged without sufficient docs
changes. It feels like moving docs to their own repo would move a existing
problem further away.

I understand that moving the docs to another repo, would enable some form of
autonomy, but I believe that John might have a point, this feels very much like
a process problem.

Would it help, if docs have a “special pass” that allows doc modifications to
happen at any point on any branch, if the changes made relate to actual changes
that have been completed on the branch? (to avoid docs changes that are out of
sequence with the deliverable)

--Udo