Geode community,

I want to inform you of some upcoming changes and opportunities. If you have
been thinking about contributing to the Geode project, this is a great time to
jump in and get started.

Many of us in the Geode community are employed by VMware. While each of us
participates and earns merit as individuals (following the Apache Way), VMware
has decided to focus its efforts on the commercial GemFire product. Practically
speaking, this means that many of the most active members of the Geode
community will be much less involved going forward.

As with any change, this leads to new opportunities. Here are some ways you can
contribute:

        • Contributing and reviewing code, documentation, or examples
        • Learning, improving, and operating CI pipelines
        • Participating as a Release Manager for v1.15.1
        • Becoming a Committer or PMC member based on project contributions
        • Publishing educational content such as blogs, videos, or conference
talks
        • Answering questions on the dev list and internet forums like
StackOverflow
        • Updating the WIKI or JIRA

Note that Apache considers contributions in ALL forms as earning merit as a
committer. You don’t need to be an expert on Partitioned Region replication
code to become a committer.

VMware remains a strong proponent of open source software and the Apache
Software Foundation. VMware is committed to actively supporting an orderly and
responsible transition to enable other members of the community to take the
project forward.

I know many of you have contributed greatly from the early days of incubation,
through graduation, and all the releases up until now. I want to personally
thank you for those efforts whether in documentation, bug reports, websites,
discussions, feature proposals, or code submissions.

Please let me know your thoughts on this change and any ideas you have. If you
would like to contribute, please shout out and ask questions! There are many
people ready to provide mentoring and answer questions.

Thanks,