As GEODE-420 deals with SSL comms configuration and GEODE-1648 with Authentication&Authorization I think we need to be careful in what is feasible and what is logical.

For SSL comms it was decided that the following components are relevant [1] <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Revised+SSL+properties>:

 * Locator => The comms channel between Locators + the initial comms
   channel between clients and locator
 * Cluster => Internode comms channel (peer to peer)
 * Server => Client-server comms channel
 * Gateway => Comms channel between WAN Gateway senders/receivers
 * HTTP => Any HTTP comms. incl REST and Pulse
 * JMX => Any JMX comms

These components were selected as they seem to be logical boundaries and communication interfaces.

I think the specialization of HTTP, for Authentication&Authorization are functions of those interfaces:

 * REST-admin
 * REST-dev
 * Pulse

I think that comms and functions exposed by those comms should not be mixed. I think that securing the comms channel is a factor of "trust". Do I implicitly trust the interface/system that I am connected to or are connecting to.

I think concepts like "management" is a concept in function. Do I allow a user to access admin API's? The function of management should not determine if a system trusts another systems connection. When a new comms interface is added (say messaging), we want to be able to trust that comms channel. The "management" function should still work regardless of interface, be it jmx,http/rest,prop tcp,messaging.

--Udo

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Revised+SSL+properties