On 7/08/2004 4:22 AM, David Jencks wrote:

The assembly module doesn't conform to the maven standard action of producing an artifact, and its results are not in the module itself. Furthermore it doesn't produce an easily installable geronimo instance.

I'd like to suggest that the assembly module should produce a zip file of what it builds, currently into target/geronimo-${pom.currentVersion}, and install it in the local repo as a zip artifact.

Then we can extend the geronimo-maven plugin with a little bit of jelly script to unpack this zip into the target of the module using the plugin. This will make it easy to get back to pristine geronimo installations.

I think that it would be awesome. +1.

As far as I understand, assembly is the way to build a Geronimo server from nothing: people can only download this module and let maven pulls the various artifacts and install a full server. Personally, I see this module as an installation procedure via maven.

So, I do have another question: Is it possible to put the assembly module somewhere else than nested inside modules? Perhaps that it could be nested inside an installer project?

Thanks,
Gianny