Feature request : What also would be cool is going in reverse - having an API to take a (Geronimo|WebSphere|Weblogic|JBoss) (WAR|EAR) and get the info out for deployment. Would make it easy then for us to support migration from other platforms...

geir

On Mar 15, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

Hi David,

-----Original Message-----
From: David Blevins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: mardi 15 mars 2005 17:18
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Geronimo and Cargo: sharing code for J2EE module
parsing/writing?

You've pretty much quoted the mission statements of JSR 77 and 88.

I think JSR77/88 are broader in that they include deployment and management.
However the API I mention was only about reading/writing J2EE Modules.

I simply wanted to know if Geronimo is already using such code. If not then
we'll continue developing it. If Geronimo has such code we'd like to
evaluate the possibility of dropping our home-grown solution and using the
Geronimo code instead (because this is reading/writing of J2EE Modules is
not at our core and if some other project is more advanced we might as well
use it instead of competing).

personally would be thrilled to see a project serisouly take on the tool
side of that spec.

We already have providers for the server's role in those specs.  You
should be able to get something running that will work will all the
vendors.

It is true that writing client side support for JSR77/88 is on our roadmap
(see http://cargo.codehaus.org/Roadmap) but my previous email was about
something a bit different: simply reading/writing J2EE archive files.

I do agree that reading/writing J2EE archive files is probably a subset of
what is required for implementing JSR77.

Thanks
-Vincent

-David