On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
David Jencks wrote:
On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
On Aug 24, 2005, at 4:21 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
How far does this go?
3.2 miles.
A full 5K!
Could I add things rather than override?
No. You can do that in the console, but this file just lets you
override certain attributes for GBeans that are already in the
server.
You'll notice in the sample there aren't full GBean definitions,
only what
amounts to attribute=value entries.
Would anything stop you from doing that though?
I would. The idea here is to allow a few attributes to be customized
locally even on a server with immutable configurations. editing your
configuration contents should use a different system. Most
attributes and all references will not be editable in this config db.
I think that we should keep the limitations of what you can and cannot
modify dynamically consistent then. Aaron indicated above that you
could add attributes via the console but not the file. Based on this
position we should not allow the attribute additions via the console
either.
Well, my position is that you should normally modify the plan to
add/remove gbeans or change references. However, Aaron and I think
others want there to be a mode for some mutable, "Snapshot"
configurations where you can edit anything in the configuration while
running. I don't think the existence of this "interactive development"
mode should affect the functionality of the config database intended
for production use. In other words, I disagree :-)
Could I add GBeans?
See above.
If changed dynamically after startup, are the new values written
out at
shutdown?
Yes.
Boy howdy! To the XML, or to the binary?
to the xml. I think this should replace re-saving the configuration
binary for stable configurations.
A related question would be "Are value changes in the file reflected
in the running server if changed while the server is active?" I
know it's not exactly the same thing ... but that's the way the log
configurations are handled. I don't necessarily agree with that
approach but I think we should be consistent for the sake (sanity) of
the user.
I suggest we handle this by filing an enhancement request to find a
different way of updating log configurations other than changing the
file they are in. I don't think we want to get into the headache of
trying to notice external db changes and importing them.
thanks
david jencks
david jencks
Aaron
On Aug 24, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
I have a change ready that lets us mark certain GBean
attributes
as "manageable", meaning that we expect the user be interested in
potentially overriding that value. Then there's a service that
tracks
values for some or all of these manageable attributes, currently
storing
them in an XML file. So the end result is there's a plain text
file
(currently var/config/config.xml) that looks like the sample
below. The
idea is that the user could change any values in there by hand if
they
like, particularly for network ports that would otherwise conflict
with
something running on their machine.
I'm looking for feedback on this. David J seemed to largely
approve but wondered whether it would be better to store separate
config
files for each Configuration. I prefer having one unified config
file
because I think it's clearer and easier to edit and cust down on
config
file sprawl. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron
<attributes>
<configuration name="org/apache/geronimo/Server">
<gbean name="JettyWebConnector">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">8080</attribute>
<attribute name="redirectPort">8443</attribute>
</gbean>
<gbean name="JettySSLConnector">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">8443</attribute>
</gbean>
<gbean name="TomcatWebConnector">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">8080</attribute>
<attribute name="redirectPort">8443</attribute>
</gbean>
<gbean name="TomcatAJPConnector">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">8009</attribute>
<attribute name="redirectPort">8443</attribute>
</gbean>
<gbean name="JettySSLConnector">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">8443</attribute>
</gbean>
<gbean name="openejb:type=NetworkService,name=EJB">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">4201</attribute>
</gbean>
</configuration>
<configuration name="org/apache/geronimo/ActiveMQServer">
<gbean name="ActiveMQ.tcp.localhost.61616">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">61616</attribute>
</gbean>
</configuration>
<configuration name="org/apache/geronimo/SystemDatabase">
<gbean name="DerbyNetwork">
<attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
<attribute name="port">1527</attribute>
</gbean>
</configuration>
</attributes>
Note: while this sample deals with network settings, we can
include
any
attributes in here.
--
Geir Magnusson Jr +1-203-665-6437
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
Geir Magnusson Jr +1-203-665-6437
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
Joe Bohn [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot
lose." -- Jim Elliot