I've explained what is currently implemented. I'm willing to make it so selecting jetty or tomcat does not start the other configuration, but where both configurations are present. If anyone wants to build separate jetty and tomcat distributions that are actually missing the other container, for m5, I will not stand in their way so long as they keep the tck running at least as smoothly as it is now, but I do not have the time or interest to put into it. I have no expectations that the console will do anything in particular in M5. I do wonder how you determine which container is running.

I will say that I think that the current assembly module approach to building geronimo distributions is really bad and that something based on the packaging and assembly plugins should be much more maintainable. I am aware that this opinion is shall we say controversial.

Using the same module to build two unrelated versions of the geronimo distribution definitely violates the maven philosophy, and I suggest if anyone wants to build separate distributions that they do so in two separate modules.