On Sep 19, 2005, at 11:17 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

Geir, if your statement were factually correct I would agree with you, but we have not lost or hid any history. Go see for yourself.

I never said we lost anything. We are hiding it because you can't go look at our structure of branches and tags and get a clear picture.

$ cd tags/v1_0_M4
$ svn log project.properties

or

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/geronimo/tags/v1_0_M4/ project.properties?rev=227113&view=log

You will find the entire history fir that file including all move and copy commands.

Regardless, if you think it is so important to have two copies of the same code in our active tree, then you resurrect the code.

We could save even more space by deleting the tag as well :)

I do think it's important that we have a clear and straightforward process for this. Again, putting aside the aversion to doing updates to milestones, I think that we will be keeping branches around in general, and doing one or more tags from them.

Right now, if we did an update to M4, we'd have to bring the branch back, work on it, and then tag again. Then what do we do? Delete the branch again? I think we'd leave it.

if diskspace or confusion is a real problem, one solution is to keep a tag log of just revision numbers, since that is what we want to record as our tags.

Suppose

/tags/
   tag_M4.txt
   tag_M4.1.txt
   tag_M5.txt

which contains something like

   svn co -r WHATEVER https://......./branchs/M4/ M4_release

or ish, which captures the code that was released in a repeatable way?

So if someone wanted to get exactly what was in a release, they would just execute what was in the file for that tag....

geir

-dain