As far as I remember, with the 1.3 CTS there was signature tests that would allow testing "J2EE 1.3 Compatible" on a 1.4 VM. I have not seen the equivalent J2EE 1.4 tests, but there may be (or perhaps coming) a similar set of tests that allow a J2EE 1.4 compatibility test to complete on a Java 5 VM.

BTW, Java EE marketing has been pushing to use the term

    Java EE Compatible

Not certified, not compliant or other terms, but "compatible". I think it is fair to support this phrasing as we are part of this marketing effort of the Java EE brand.

Kresten Krab Thorup
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children." Saint Exupery