Not exactly. The soft version is the version that will be used if it
fits in the valid ranges, and ignored if not. The conflict resolver in
play decides whether to use the nearest or newest of these versions -
in 2.0 only "nearest" was enabled.

If you want to allow a range, you have to give it an actual range in
the dependency declaration.

We're certainly looking to make some improvements to this based on
experience in 2.1 which is in planning now - so I appreciate any
suggestions.

Either scheme will let you do what you want using a range whether it
is [2.4,2.5) or [1.0,); it's just a matter of what you find
friendliest and most manageable from a perspective of releasing the
specs.

Maybe this is better:

servlet-2.4-spec-1.0

Where 1.0 is the version, servlet-2.4-spec is the artifact Id.

Cheers,
Brett