On Nov 9, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

On 11/9/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

if you import GPL at compile time, the virality of the GPL requires
that you license under the GPL, so clearly that's not allowed.

Geir, do you know if this includes the use of reflection against a
class so as to avoid a compile time dependency?

I'm not sure. I don't think about GPL much. It is a runtime thing, and from the GPL preamble :

"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
running the Program is not restricted..."

which supports my understanding that runtime activity such as you suggest is ok...

However, IANAL, and I tend to stay away from GPL-ed code.  It's scary :)

GPL isn't alllowed at all.

My understanding the above statement, but I'm asking my previous
question because it appears that the stance may be softening a bit.

No, because you still can't distribute the code, keep it in SVN/CVS, etc. your user could go get the code and try to make it work, I suppose....

geir

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)[EMAIL PROTECTED]&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\! G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo