Dave Colasurdo wrote:

The source for the samples are included in the WARs. They can be pulled into any IDE.

Thats not true. Don't assume everyone uses Eclipse or Intellij...that's a bad assumption to make.

Geronimo shouldn't fork Tomcat's examples and therefore forever own the build and maintenance merely because we want to consume the WAR files. If a user wants to dig deeper into the examples, we should give clear credit to Tomcat as being ground zero for the samples.

But we are forking it by including the WAR files in our ibiblio repo. The mere fact the source is in the wars and we are now including our own version of it (packaged up of course)...it's a fork (a binary one)...so I don't think this is a good argument.

However, the point is moot, and with that said, I am cool with not creating a source area...since the code is in the wars and accessible via the browser.

IMHO, we have 3 choices with including these wars in our repo. Either rename them in the assembly to servlet-examples.war and jsp-examples.war (i.e. strip off the geronimo-1.0 from the name), include external plan files that includes a <context-root> element, or I can include a proper geronimo-web.xml inside the war.

If we can get this decided soon, I can get these jars into our ibiblio repo today.

Jeff

-Dave-