Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote, On 12/6/2005 8:21 AM:

Optimally, we would be able to take the idl files directly from OMG. They have published a set of idl files, which can be downloaded here: http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?formal/02-07-02 . These files generally correspond to our own files in geronimo-spec-corba. Using the files provided from OMG would be advantageous, since that would guarantee the correctness and completeness of the IDL.

This question hasn't been addressed yet. I really don't see the point of maintaining our own copy either. Where did that copy originate - isn't it based on the OMG files anyway?

[...]
Note that the compiler is only used in the build process. It will not be bundled with the finished product or anything like that. We are not going to have any GPL-code in the geronimo repository by using this compiler.

Any comments on this issue? Should i move on to integrating the JacORB compiler with the idlj plugin?

I don't think that JacORB is properly licensed. Does anyone know if it's a problem using LGPL jars?

Many projects at Apache seem to use Checkstyle, which is also LGPL. So LGPL doesn't seem to be a problem for tools that are only used during the build (not redistributed and not stored on Apache servers).

The ideal solution is to implement and use our own.

Yes, it would be great to have an Apache-Licensed IDL compiler, but that would take time and take away momentum from the core ORB development. We could do that in parallel if there is any interest.

  I wonder if we could use OpenORB.  Lars?

The OpenORB compiler supports local interfaces, and it is used to compile the OMG idl files in the OpenORB build, so that part could probably work. However the JacORB compiler is much more stable than the OpenORB compiler which has a *huge* amount of bugs, and one of those might become relevant for the test IDLs.

Regards,
Lars