Hmm, Well, usability aside, it sure changes the code I've written so far :)

Actually, I think it is quite a good approach.

IzPack allows any package to be selected on the pack selection panel as long
as it's prereqs are satisfied (can't install Tomcat console without
installing Tomcat).

This all worked fairly well except that we have a condition not directly
supported by IzPack which is that the operator is not allowed to configure
both Jetty and Tomcat.  The installer has override code to prevent the
selection of both, but it does not run until the pack selection panel is
exited.

To some extent, the proposed change would change the semantics of the pack
selection screen into something more in accordance with the way IzPack
normally works.

The changes I'd make to pull this off would be to:
1. Remove the Tomcat/Jetty "Configuration Problem" panel which shows when both
are selected.
2. Add check boxes to each related configuration panel asking whether the
config should be active.
3. Assume that any packs not selected should be marked false in the config.
4. Allow either Jetty or tomcat to be marked active, but not both.  For ease
of programming,  some  static text on the screen could warn of the inability
to configure both (hmm, but only if both are to be installed).
5. Do the magic to build the config-store for the installed components.
6. probably lots of other things I have not thought of yet

It's not too bad really.  It probably is clearer.  I'll do it this way.

--

Regards,

Erik