Hey guys,

I'm really interested in the clustering side of geronimo, I'm just checking the source out of subversion now (on dialup until saturday - so it's a slow process).

Any tips on where to start looking in the source?

Cheers,

-Ryan

On 1/12/06, Jules Gosnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jules Gosnell wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> Jules, I think you are spot on with a summary at this point.  At
>> least in my conversations a person's view of clustering is influenced
>> by which aspect of clustering they are intersted in.  I think a short
>> doc would be really helpful here.  Were you planning on doing that or
>> would you like some help?
>

> Matt,
>
> The more I look at the amount of work that needs doing the more help I
> think I need !
>
> I am away this weekend, but I will try to put together a document
> skeleton early next week that defines the areas that we need to cover.
> Then we can refer back to various discussions on the list to flesh out
> the relevant areas. I'm not sure of the best way of making this
> document available so that everyone can contribute - but we can worry
> about that when we have one.
>
> Do you have a pet clustering area ? Have we discussed it ?
>
> Jules

Guys,

I am on this - just have had a very busy week. I'll get back to the list
with the goods ASAP.

Jules

> [...]
>>> host of optimistic caching strategies, whilst WADI (currently)
>>> provides a single, pessimistic strategy specifically designed for
>>> the management of state in web and ejb tiers, where the sum of the
>>> state in the tier is too great to be held by any single node.
>>> Because WADI and AC fulfil similar roles, I think that there is more
>>> to be gained by unifying their APIs and code-sharing between them.
>>> James, if you are reading, what do you think ?

>>> Well, I think that there has been plenty of discussion, but you are
>>> correct in pointing out that there is no grand unified architecture
>>> document out there. I did start on my suggestions towards one
>>> quietly a while ago, but canned them. Perhaps enough discussion has
>>> now occurred to put up a straw man ? Is this what you are looking for ?

>>> Rajith, judging from our conversations on this list, your interest
>>> seems to lie in JNDI clustering ? I think that we need to get you,
>>> Gianny Damour (working on OpenEJB/WADI integration), James Strachan
>>> (ActiveSpace) and Kresten Krab (Trifork guy involved in IIOP stuff,
>>> which needs to be worked into equation) into a thread.
>>>
>>> OpenEJB will need cluster aware client-side proxies, delivered from
>>> HA-JNDI. These proxies will need to talk to EJBs via OpenEJB's
>>> proprietary protocol and Trifork's IIOP impl (I'm not on my home
>>> ground here, so I might be off-base - but that is what the thread is
>>> for). HA-JNDI needs a clustering substrate - ActiveSpace best fits
>>> the bill (JNDI will be small amounts of data that are write-seldom
>>> and read-often).
>>>
>>> One other issue that meshes with all of this is deployment. I've
>>> given some thought to clustered deployment recently and come to the
>>> conclusion that a deployment/app/?service? is simply a piece of
>>> write(/[un]deploy)-seldom, read(/invoke)-often data. A deployment
>>> may result in a number of entries being merged into HA-JNDI, an
>>> undeployment may result in a number being removed. If a new node
>>> joins a cluster (or subset of) that is responsible for providing an
>>> HA-service/app, then that node should deploy an instance of that app
>>> as it comes up and remove it as it goes down - i.e. a copy of that
>>> app should be distributed to it and maintained by it for the
>>> lifetime of the node, just as a jndi entry might be by a distributed
>>> JNDI service.
>>>
>>> I haven't gone over these ideas with anyone else yet, particularly
>>> with regards to the relevant JSR, but I guess they need to be thrown
>>> out into the ring and discussed.
>>>
>>> Does everyone think that now is a good time to summarise the various
>>> discussions that have occurred about clustering into some sort of
>>> unified structure ? This can then be further discussed and hopefully
>>> used to carve up work and produce a roadmap ? This is probably over
>>> ambitious for a 1.0.1 release (it may just be a bug-fix release ?),
>>> but something that we need to be getting on with.

crystallises out around it."

--
Ryan Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]