It's probably going to be you doing this work, so ultimately, you are the one who decides what you want to write. I will just say that you and I share the same goals, but your proposal goes against the grain of maven which fundamentally combines build/test. Anytime you do that, it's painful.

So let me just stop proposing and do my best to provide the information you'd need to get something done.