Also, could we make this happily_chugging_along_current_master becoming
slave again optional ? This sounds like an unnecessary disruption  to the
distributed system.
I am assuming that, perhaps, somebody has a need for it.

The following use case sounds reasonable:
- current master fails
- slave becomes master
- the old_master may or may not come back up again
   (who cares ? we may just empower another cheapo machine for the slave
functionality)
- another machine becomes the new slave

The point being, there should be  no value to coupling master/slave
functionality to
specific pieces of hardware, in a majority of cases.

Thanks
Regards
- Sridhar