Hmmm .... I'm not sure about that exception. The error that I fixed is a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError exception on Tomcat and materialized itself somewhat differently on Jetty. I wonder if the change you made results in the tomcat logs either not being created or created in a different location that is causing the NPE.

Did you try (without your change) to start the server via the scripts (either startup.bat or geronimo.bar run) and verify that the logs are also created via that scenario (as they are for me)? If, after that, you access the server logs from the web console I would expect you to get the NoClassDefFoundError which the JIRA I referenced earlier fixes.

Joe

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
    With this change the tomcat-server starts properly
and geronimo.log is created. However on clicking
'Server Logs' I get this trace. Does your patch for
GERONIMO-1634 cover this also? IIRC server-log4j.properties file is copied from
configs/tomcat ?

Thnaks
Anita

--- anita kulshreshtha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Joe,
  yeah, the server logs in Jetty look ok.
  The server-log4j.properties files are different
for
2 servers -
JETTY -

log4j.appender.FILE.file=${org.apache.geronimo.server.dir}/var/log/geronimo.log

TOMCAT -

log4j.appender.FILE.file=${org.apache.geronimo.base.dir}/var/log/geronimo.log

     I will use .....server.dir and report back.

Thanks
Anita --- Joe Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Actually, I suspect you're hitting a different
problem there. There is a problem with the Derby log viewer and a missing
class.

There is a defect that I opened about a month ago

on

that one and I do have a patch for it -

It's waiting for a committer to take an interest

and

integrate it. Any takers?

Joe

anita kulshreshtha wrote:

  I spoke too soon.. This trace is produced by
clicking on 'Server Logs' from console.

Thnaks
Anita

--- anita kulshreshtha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

  After a fresh restart of windows

jetty-server

is

working fine.

Thanks
Anita
--- anita kulshreshtha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

 This is a problem with jetty-server as well.
Jetty-server does not produce stack trace but

the

log
files (geronimo.log, jetty-*.log) are not

created.

Thnaks
Anita

--- Jeff Genender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am not able to reproduce this on a Mac or
Linux...I need to get my
hands on a Windowz box to see what is up.  Can

you

gage what GBean is
getting started that is failing?

Joe Bohn wrote:

I created a JIRA for this problem a week ago

or

so.

I haven't had chance yet to look into a fix

but it only seems to

happen with the tomcat assemblies and seemed

be

introduced about the

time we upgraded to the new tomcat image.

Joe

anita kulshreshtha wrote:

  This applies to rev 385723. I am getting

the

following error during server startup.

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java

1.4.2_09)...

log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException:

\var\log\geronimo.log

(The system cannot find the
path specified)
      at

java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native

Method)
      at

java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)

      at

java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)

      at

org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)

      at

org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java

:156)
      at

org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)

      at

org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:2

47)
      at

org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.j

ava:123)
      at

org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.j

ava:87)
      at

org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigura

tor.java:645)
      at

=== message truncated ===