Yes, I agree that the assumption would be a non-versioned jar would be considered version 0.0. But I haven't thought of a way yet to support both versioned and unversioned jars when calling out the dependency without a schema change.

For example, suppose the repo contains both mattsjar.jar and mattsjar-1.0.jar. If I want the latest version of a jar in Geronimo 1.1 I just omit the version number from the dependency. No version number = the latest version number. So, that means that we can't use the lack of a version number to mean we have a dependency on the unversioned jar. Short of a change in the schema, I'm not sure how to support both versioned and unversioned jars with an optional version element.

I hate to open this issue up again now .... but I think we need to consider this if we want to support unversioned jars (which I think would make the life a bit easier for our users).

Joe

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
I think an implicit Version of 0.0 might be reasonable for jars that do not follow Maven conventions. Personally I think forcing everyone to rename their jars is a bit intrusive as not everyone would want / need to do this.

How about this:

mattsjar.jar would be implicitly mattsjar-0.0.jar without the usewr having to change a thing.

Thoughts?

Matt

Joe Bohn wrote:

I have a situation where I need to make several web modules dependent upon a large number of jars. I'd like to add the jars to the Geronimo repo and add the dependencies into the plans for the web modules. However, most of the jars don't follow the maven naming convention because the names don't include a version (and I'd rather not rename all the jars).

I know that there are changes being included in 1.1 to make the version in a reference optional. However, I doubt that it is possible to reference a jar in the repo that doesn't contain any version. Just thought I should ask in case it really is possible. I could see where this might be something users would like when they have picked up jars from various places which may or may not contain a version in the jar name.

If it *is* possible to have a non-versioned jar in the repo ... how do we differentiate in geronimo 1.1 between a dependency on a non-versioned jar versus a dependency on the latest version of a jar (in case both are present).

Thanks for the help,
Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." -- Jim Elliot