Hi,

Jeff, I do know that you are working hard on preparing the release of G1.1; however, when you get more time, could you please try to expand a little bit on this subject?

I am curious to see how the Session API has been implemented and how it is leveraged to provide clustering capabilities. I recently had a look to the Session API and I am sure that WADI can easily provide an implementation.

Also, I think that many users have been waiting for a "more robust (clustering) solution" and I believe that WADI can provide an enhanced implementation of the Session API for G1.2. Obviously, your work will help WADI developers to understand how to hook in WADI.

Thanks,
Gianny

Jules Gosnell wrote:

Jeff Genender wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Ultimately clustering should not be based on WADI directly, but for
components that implement the session API interface.  We want to make
clustering components pluggable, so there is no hard coded clustering agent.
With my WADI hat on:

Agreed - this is the correct approach - however, for reasons stated in the related threads on this list, I believe that the proposed API has been positioned at the wrong level of abstraction. As such, I believe that it actually acts as a barrier to WADI's integration.

I am unaware of WADI's status regarding its implementation of the
session API.  Jules or Greg would need to comment on this.
I've given this a lot of consideration and come to the conclusion, that, whilst I have every intention of WADI and Geronimo being integrated, this integration is unlikely to occur via the proposed API in its current form. I think that WADI will continue to go down the route of integrating its front end directly with the tier in question, whilst exposing its backend to Geronimo management facilities.

We (Geronimo) will have a session clustering component that will be
offered as a part of Geronimo that will implement the session API
interface shortly. Its been a side project for a couple of weeks ;-)
With my Geronimo hat on:

Sounds interesting. Is the design discussion going on in public somewhere or are you integrating an existing component? I am sure that there are many people on the list who would be interested in participating.

Relative to the Tomcat clustering, yes this is an interim capability to
allow for clustering the web tier.  Although it will always be
available, I believe we will have a more robust solution that works
across all component in the near future.  Stay tuned ;-)
You bet :-)

Jules

Jeff

Matthew Jording wrote:
Jeff, Dave,

  I would like to implement a Geronimo Cluster Management Web Service
and need some additional information on the advances of WADI
integration. The current clustering examples seem to only be concerned
with tomcat web tier clustering and doesn't seem to use WADI to
facilitate the management of the sessions.

Thanks
Matt

Jeff Genender wrote:
Dave,

Thanks for doing this.

Jeff

Dave Colasurdo wrote:

I've validated that the Geronimo clustering example
(http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Geronimo+Clustering+Example)

still works for Geronimo 1.1 (with Tomcat 5.5.9).  The application
deployment plan (attached to email) required some changes.

I'm now rebuilding G1.1 with Tomcat 5.5.15 to determine if the
clustering Gbeans and plans still work..

-Dave-

Jeff Genender wrote:
IIRC, 5.5.15 went to backward compatibility...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200512.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Perhaps Filip can fill us in on this.

If I remember right, the 5.5.9 clustering GBeans will work on forward
versions.  So I don't think there is a problem there.  HEAD has been
set
to 5.5.15 for quite some time.

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to try em out ;-)

Jeff

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
Jeff (et al.),

Will G1.1 definitely be upgraded to Tomcat 5.5.15?

IIRC, the clustering deployment plans were quite different for 5.5.9 -vs- 5.5.12. If we upgrade to 5.5.15, we will likely need a new plan
that accounts for both the webcontainer upgrade as well as the new
G1.1
plan format..

Thanks
-Dave-

Jeff Genender wrote:
Thanks Rainer.  But I think 5.5.15 will be the one for 1.1.  But
possibly 5.5.17 for 1.2 ;-)

Jeff

Rainer Jung wrote:
Just for your information: 5.5.16 was released a couple of weeks
ago,
but has some problems with de delivered packaginf of examples app
under
windows.

5.5.17 is expected to be cut on friday and voted stable
eventually 1-2
weeks later.

Jeff Genender wrote:
Yep...need to update the plan.  Its updated in trunk.

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
It appears that G1.1 is still using Tomcat 5.5.9

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.1/etc/project.properties

Wasn't a tomcat upgrade to 5.5.15 in plan for G1.1?? Perhaps I am
confused with the plans for trunk.. ??

Thanks
-Dave-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Copyright 2004-2005 The Apache Software Foundation

   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
implied.
   limitations under the License.-->
<!--$Rev: 381704 $ $Date: 2006-02-28 11:55:41 -0500 (Tue, 28 Feb
2006) $-->
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/tomcat-1.1";>
 <dep:environment
xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1";>
   <dep:configId>
     <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
<dep:artifactId>servlets-examples-tomcat-cluster</dep:artifactId>
     <dep:version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</dep:version>
     <dep:type>car</dep:type>
   </dep:configId>
   <dep:dependencies/>
   <dep:hidden-classes/>
   <dep:non-overridable-classes/>
 </dep:environment>
 <context-root>/servlets-examples-cluster</context-root>
 <context-priority-classloader>false</context-priority-classloader>
 <security-realm-name>geronimo-properties-realm</security-realm-name>
 <security>
   <default-principal>
     <principal name="anonymous"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoUserPrincipal"/>

   </default-principal>
   <role-mappings>
     <role role-name="tomcat">
       <principal name="admin"
class="org.apache.geronimo.security.realm.providers.GeronimoGroupPrincipal"/>

     </role>
   </role-mappings>
 </security>

   <cluster>TomcatCluster</cluster>

   <!-- Cluster -->
   <gbean name="TomcatCluster"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.CatalinaClusterGBean">
       <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster</attribute>

       <attribute name="initParams">
managerClassName=org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
           expireSessionsOnShutdown=false
           useDirtyFlag=false
           notifyListenersOnReplication=true
       </attribute>

</reference>         <!--
       <reference name="ClusterDeployer">
   </gbean>

   <!-- Membership -->

   <gbean name="TomcatMembership"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.MembershipServiceGBean">
       <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService</attribute>

       <attribute name="initParams">
           mcastAddr=228.0.0.4
           mcastBindAddress=xx.yy.zz.aa             mcastPort=45564
           mcastFrequency=500
           mcastDropTime=3000
       </attribute>
   </gbean>
   <!-- Receiver -->

   <gbean name="TomcatReceiver"
       class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.ReceiverGBean">
       <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener</attribute>

       <attribute name="initParams">
tcpListenAddress=xx.yy.zz.aa tcpListenPort=4001
           tcpSelectorTimeout=100
           tcpThreadCount=6
       </attribute>
   </gbean>    <!-- Sender -->

   <gbean name="TomcatSender"
       class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.SenderGBean">
       <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter</attribute>

       <attribute name="initParams">
           replicationMode=pooled
           ackTimeout=15000
       </attribute>
   </gbean>     <!-- Valves -->
   <gbean name="ReplicationValve"
       class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.ValveGBean">
       <attribute
name="className">org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve</attribute>

       <attribute name="initParams">
filter=.*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.css;.*\.png;.*\.jpeg;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;

       </attribute>
</gbean>

   <!-- Deployer     <gbean name="FarmWarDeployer"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.cluster.FarmWarDeployerGBean">
       <attribute name="tempDir">var/catalina/war-temp</attribute>
<attribute name="deployDir">var/catalina/war-deploy</attribute>
       <attribute name="watchDir">var/catalina/war-listen</attribute>
       <attribute name="watchEnabled">true</attribute>
       <attribute name="processDeployFrequency">10</attribute>
       <reference name="ServerInfo">
           <moduleType>J2EEModule</moduleType>
           <module>geronimo/j2ee-system/1.1-SNAPSHOT/car</module>
           <name>ServerInfo</name>
       </reference>
   </gbean>
   -->