I'd be happy if we never ended up calling any file a .[a-zA-Z]ar. I think that the ear/war/rar thing is lame to start with, the folks that continue to use the same lame extension naming system (sar, har, dar, car) just perpetuate this silly system that Sun dropped on us.

If we need to use extensions to clarify what something is, then lets use something more sensible. Like for a module, why not just use .module? If you want to still say its a jar, then .module.jar, but please lets not make it a .mar.

--jason