+1

david jencks

On May 22, 2006, at 11:08 PM, John Sisson wrote:

I was planning on fixing the geronimo.bat and geronimo.sh scripts (as part of GERONIMO-1638) to remove the GERONIMO_BASE environment variable (that is no longer valid and AFAIK never worked properly) and add GERONIMO_SERVER_NAME and GERONIMO_SERVER_DIR environment variables to be in sync with the changes.

If we feel that this area is subject to change (since you indicated it is in the 1.1 code to play with) then maybe the following should be done:
* Remove the GERONIMO_BASE from the startup scripts to avoid confusion
* Rename the newly introduced system properties to have have an "X" prefix to indicate they are experimental (following what Dain has done for other experimental properties), specifically rename:

org.apache.geronimo.server.dir ---> Xorg.apache.geronimo.server.dir
org.apache.geronimo.server.name ---> Xorg.apache.geronimo.server.name

I also agree with Aaron's comment "I think it will be much nicer to look in the configuration directory and see config/ log/ security/ etc
instead of just seeing "var"".

Comments?

John

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
I'm fine for leaving the code in 1.1 to play with but I'm -1 in promoting it in 1.1. This should be a 1.2 item. One of the reasons we end up making disruptive changes later in the release is we don't have time to think this through and we'll be unhappy with the answer and end up tweaking it next time.

That said, for 1.2 this is really needed as clustering will probably take shape. I'd prefer to start the discussion now and finish it in 1.2. Here's my 2c.

geronimo/servers/default
geronimo/servers/foo
geronimo/servers/server1
geronimo/servers/server2

A major grouping off of Geronimo makes sense so we can group servers together. It would make sense to me to leave geronimo/var as the legacy, single server and the above as the clustered convention.

Aaron Mulder wrote:
All,

David Jencks just backported a feature that lets you create multiple
server configurations inside a single Geronimo installation.  This
affects the contents of the var/ directory, if I understand it right.
So essentially, you could create a structure like this:

geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
geronimo/server1/var/...   ("server1" configuration)
geronimo/another/var/...   ("another" configuration)

In other words, you can create subdirectories with their own copies of
var/* and then tell Geronimo during startup to read from foo/var/*
instead of var/* using a command-line parameter.

I'd like to propose one change to this, and that is, that we eliminate
the "var" directory and set it up one of these two ways -- the
difference being whether the default server configuration is named
something like "default" or named "var":

Option 1: default configuration named "var":
geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)
geronimo/another/...   ("another" configuration)

Option 2: default configuration named e.g. "default":
geronimo/default/...   (default configuration)
geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)
geronimo/another/...   ("another" configuration)

It seems somewhat more usable to me if, for example, the log directory
is immediately underneath the server configuration directory.  For
anyone who's not real UNIX-oriented, I think it will be much nicer to look in the configuration directory and see config/ log/ security/ etc
instead of just seeing "var".

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
   Aaron